Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Margotlog: Facebook

Margotlog:Facebook

It's probably what many of us fear--that our electronic contacts to those we treasure (and inevitably to those we don't) will be taken over by an "alien" force who starts writing things that shock, deride, and besmirch us.

Facebook has been in the news laterly because it has been less than cautious about protecting the electronic communications of its "users." Here's how I unpack that statement: First, "face" suggests we know to whom we speak. Second, "book" suggests a book held in front of us, read by one of us at a time. Of course real books are printed in the hundreds of thousands, depending on what their editors/publishers think will sell. But they are "used" by one person or a small number when one voice reads aloud to a class, family, or congregation. Or a teacher assigns a book to students, and most of them do indeed read it, then discuss it.

I tried Facebook years ago. For a few months it was rather fun. I have no idea now what I "posted" or what "mail" I received, but mostly I wrote little nothings, little squibs about real books, movies, plays --reviews, so to speak. I did not "communicate" with my readers as if we were face to face or speaking on the phone. Something about the privacy of writing on a computer seemed alien to speaking immediately and directly to a single person or a horde.

Then, all of a sudden, I began finding I had "posted" stuff that didn't sound like me. These posts were too jocular or snide; they implied things I would never speak about in public. Or even to my most intimate friends except in a low voice, in absolute privacy.

Within a week or so, it was clear that some alien force had assumed my voice. Putting words in my mouth, and worst of all, portraying me as someone I was not. Even here, I refuse to reveal the nastiness I was credited with promulgating. It took me a while to grasp what was happening. Once I did, I had to search around for help in having my "entity" removed from the organization. 


Now I read about hundreds of thousands of people who use Facebook several times a day. They write about everyday things, they express opinions, they rant and rave, they proclaim politically; they act as if they sat across a table from the person (s)  they communicate with.

I find it disturbing and very very dangerous. These "users" are placing elements of their opinions, experiences, attitudes, loves, hates before anonymous groups. It's far more "public" than standing on one's own front steps and shouting what you believe to the neighborhood. Or making a "sandwich board" with a message on it, which also includes your private information, easy for the world to read but rather hard to appropriate as you walk up and down a busy street.

We are often incredibly naive. I was, until that naivete began to get me in trouble.

Just for the record, as I write this on the blog format, I find myself reluctant to "post" it. I don't want to stir up those malign creatures who enjoy creating anguish, and coming off scott-free. Is this entry for an archive labeled "never sent?" No, I guess not. Let me know what you think. Or not. This is a blog, not necessarily an interactive entity. I value your privacy just like mine.

All best, M.




No comments:

Post a Comment