Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Margotlog: Bat Attack

Margotlog: Bat Attack - The Warmth of July 31/August 1


Wow! Pal of Mine, if I'd known you'd come...well, it was 3 a.m. two mornings in a row. This "morning" you were swooping in our high stairwell, with the light on, of course, because I became aware of you in my bedroom and had to scram out of there, turning on every light I could find.

After the first "incident" the night before when I was sure you were confined to the kitchen, I found the correct phone number to call for help from the St. Paul Police Department, 651- 291 - 1111 - and with my knees shaking, I called. Then I stood downstairs at the front door, hoping you would come close enough (but not too close) to see an open door. After what seemed like a century, with you landing on the ground floor--pitiful little bunch of life--then rising into "terror mode" again, you actually swooped past me as I stood in the entryway, holding open the screen, and FLEW OUT.

Julia the black and white cat and I were so relieved we sort of hugged, though Julia might have "done battle" had I not screamed her away.

I was still shaking and couldn't quite decide to call back the Police Department and say no need to send the officer. Eventually I did call, but the "officer" was on his way and arrived, looking very official and neat, and spoke with me, gesturing up to the long stairwell, and recounting how tiny an opening a bat can get through, about the size of a dime! And YOU, UNWANTED VISITOR, WERE WAS NOT A PUNY LITTLE BROWN BAT, BUT A BIG BROWN BAT WITH A WINGSPAN OF AT LEAST A COMMERCIAL JET PLANE..

I was very very grateful to have a "back up" and I do truly believe this man makes a fine business of doing "critter calls." He'd already visited two other houses that evening, but much earlier, between 9 and 10 o'clock. He said the huge mansions on Summit Avenue are havens for bats, despite all their glamor. And the residents get as freaked and terrorized as those of us in more modest dwellings. He also explained that in hot weather, aka July and August, bats are especially prone to investigate insides. The fact that I harbored a bat for who knows how long--at least 48 hours--does not mean  that I'm a bad person or doomed to a lower ring of hell.

Right now, nine a.m.ish, I'm hoping we can get through the summer without another visitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment